Saturday, January 9, 2016

With Special Appearances by the KKK...

#2 Tru and Nelle by G. Neri

Release Date: March 1, 2016
Genre: Young Reader's Historical Fiction
Rating: 3/5

So this advanced reader's copy has been kicking around the break room at my work for a couple weeks, I have taken my fair share of books from the pile, thus I figured I would give someone else the chance to snag this book. But they didn't, it just sat there forlornly with the rest of the rejects. The cover is what initially grabbed my attention, I think it's safe to assume at this point we all know I am a sucker for a good cover.

While a work of fiction, the story is heavily reliant on the true story of the childhood friendship between (Nelle) Harper Lee and Truman Capote. Being a fan of both authors work I figured I would give it a go. The story winds its way through a summer when Truman was left to live with relatives in Monroeville, Alabama and befriends Nelle who he mistakes as a little boy at first meeting. Originally it is their shared love of reading that brings these two together and then a sense of belonging for two misfits that don't fit in anywhere else in town.

At first I thought this book reminded me a little bit too much of To Kill a Mockingbird but upon reflection I think that has less to do with this book and more to do with the fact that TKAMB is heavily influenced by the real life events of Harper Lee's life.

This books reads like an amalgamation of Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Sherlock Holmes and To Kill a Mockingbird, with equal measure of each story.  Although this book is definitely a children's book (think ages 8 & up), it still reads well for the older audience as well.


-The Wayfaring Bookworm x

No comments:

Post a Comment